Thiruvananthapuram

29°C

Haze

Enter word or phrase

Look for articles in

Last Updated Wednesday January 17 2018 03:07 AM IST

Serena Williams pulls out of Australian Open

Text Size
Your form is submitted successfully.

Recipient's Mail:*

( For more than one recipient, type addresses seperated by comma )

Your Name:*

Your E-mail ID:*

Your Comment:

Enter the letters from image :

Serena Williams Serena Williams. File photo: Reuters/ Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY Sports

Melbourne: Serena Williams reluctantly pulled out of this year's Australian Open on Friday, the American saying that while she was close to regaining full fitness after giving birth to her first child in September, she was not fully ready to defend her title.

The 36-year-old was eight weeks pregnant last year when she triumphed for a seventh time at Melbourne Park to claim an Open-era record 23rd Grand Slam title and then took the rest of the year off before giving birth to a daughter.

She has played just once in public since, losing to French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko in Abu Dhabi last week, but was still hopeful of making a remarkable return at the Australian Open until she admitted defeat a week ahead of the event.

"My coach and team always said 'only go to tournaments when you are prepared to go all the way'. I can compete - but I don't want to just compete, I want to do far better than that and to do so, I will need a little more time," Serena said in a statement.

Serena had told Vogue magazine last August about her "outrageous plan" to defend her title, but the short turnaround after giving birth has proven too much for even the greatest player of her generation.

Serena, whose Grand Slam tally is just one shy of the all-time record held by Australian Margaret Court, said she was disappointed to withdraw but looked forward to returning in the future.

"After competing in Abu Dhabi I realized that although I am super close, I'm not where I personally want to be," Serena added.

"With that being said, and even though I am disappointed about it, I've decided not to compete in the Australian Open this year."

Tournament director Craig Tiley called Serena's efforts to try and be ready for a title defense at the Australian Open "Herculean" and said she transcended the sport.

"It was never going to be good enough for her to just compete, she wants to give herself the best chance to win," Tiley said.

"I've been in constant contact with Serena and her team and know this is why she has pushed it and pushed it until the eleventh hour to make her final decision."

Serena is the latest big name to withdraw from the year's opening Grand Slam, which will be played from January 15 to 28, with Britain's Andy Murray (hip) and Japan's Kei Nishikori (wrist) having already said they would not compete.

There is also uncertainty over whether former champions Novak Djokovic, Stan Wawrinka and Rafael Nadal will be fit to take to the court.

Read also: More Tennis NewsDhoni returns to CSK, Kohli and Rohit retained

The opinions expressed here do not reflect those of Malayala Manorama. Legal action under the IT Act will be taken against those making derogatory and obscene statements.

Email ID:

User Name:

User Name:

News Letter News Alert
News Letter News Alert