The Southern Railways will run six special trains to Thiruvananthapuram for Attukal Pongala. The railways has also included additional coaches in passenger trains, additional stoppages for express trains at smaller stations and enhanced security coverage at stations for the smooth passage of devotees reaching the capital city.
Once the Pongala rituals are over, the trains towards Kollam Junction will start from platform 4 and 5 and trains towards Nagercoil will start from platform 2 & 3 of Thiruvananthapuram central station. All long-distance trains will start from platform 1, according to a railways press release.
Augmentation of coaches
Twelve passenger trains running in Nagercoil –Thiruvananthapuram and Thiruvananthapuram-Kollam section will run with additional coaches (18 coaches each for 3days) from March 9 to 11.
Railway Protection Force (RPF) has drawn up special security arrangements in connection with Pongala. Additional 282 RPF cadres are drawn from adjutant divisions.
A special security control room will be functional at Thiruvananthapuram Central station. Passengers can seek help through security Help line Number- 182.
Special train on March 10, 2017 (Friday)
Kollam – Thiruvannthapuram Special train will leave Kollam at 15.00 hours to reach Thiourvannthapuram at 16.55 hours in the evening.
Special trains on March 11, 2017 (Saturday, day of Pongala)
Special train to Thiruvananthapuram will leave Kollam station at 04.00 hrs to reach Thiruvannthapuram central at 05.55 hours in the morning.
Trains after Pongala ritual
First special train from Thiruvananthapuram Central station to Kollam Junction at 13.45 hrs.
Second special train for Kollam will leave Thiruvananthapuram Central station at 15.45 hrs.
Third Special train for Kollam will start from Thiruvananthapuram Central station at 16.15 hrs.
Fourth Special train for Kollam will leave Thiruvananthapuram Central station at 16.55 hrs.
All special trains will have stoppage at all stations in between Thiruvananthapuram and Kollam.
Trains towards Nagercoil
One special train will start from Thiruvananthapuram Central station at 14.00 hrs to Nagercoil with stoppages at all stations.
Train No. 56317,Kochuveli- Nagercoil Passenger is rescheduled to leave at 14.15 hrs from Thiruvananthapuram Central station.
Additional stoppage for trains on March 10, 2017(Friday)
1. Tr. No 16649, Mangalore-Nagercoil Parasuram express additional stoppage at Mayyanad, Kadakkavur and Chirayankeezh.
2. Tr. No 16345, LokmanyaThilak –Thiruvananthapuram Netravathi express: Additional stoppage at Paravur,Kadakkavur and Chirayankeezh .
3. Tr. No 17230, Hydrabad-Thiruvananthapuram express: Additional stoppage at Paravur, Kadakkavur, Chirayankeezh and Murukumpuzha.
4. Tr. No 16605, Mangalore-Nagercoil Eranad express: Additional stoppage at Paravur, Kadakkavur and Chirayankeezh.
5. Tr. No16301, Shoranur-Thiruvananthapuram Venad Express:Additional stop at Murukkumpuzha
6. Tr. No 16127, Egmore - Guruvayoor express: Additional stoppage at Parassala.
7. TR. No.16723, Chennai Egmore- Thiruvananthapuram Ananthapuri express:Additional stop at Parassala.
Additional stoppage for trains on March 11, 2017 (Saturday)
1. Tr. No 16344, Palakkad Town –Thiruvananthapuram Amruta express: Additional stoppage at Paravur, Kadakkavur,Chirayankeezhu Murukkumpuzha and Thiruvananthapuram Pettah
2. Tr. No. 16603, Mangalore – Thiruvananthapuram Maveli express: Additional stoppages at Kadakkavur,Chirayankeezhu and Thiruvanthapuram Pettah .
3. Tr. No. 12695 Chennai- Thiruvananthapuram central superfast Express: Additional stoppages at Paravur, Kadakkavur, Chirayankeezhu and Murukumpuzha and Petah.
4. Tr. No. 16303 Ernakulam – Thiruvananthapuram Vanchinad exp Additional stoppage at Thiruvananthapuram Pettah.
5. Tr. No 56700, Madurai – Punalur Passenger: Additional stoppage at Dhanuvachapuram, Amaravila, Balaramapuram and Nemom.
6. Tr.16382, Kanyakumari- Mumbai CST express: additional stoppage at Balaramapuram and Nemom.
7. Tr. No. 12624, Thiruvananthapuram - Chennai Mail:Additional stoppages at , Chirayankeezhu, Kadakkavoor and Paravur
8. Tr. No. 12696, Thiruvananthapuram central - Chennai superfast Express: Additional stoppages at Chirayankeezh. Kadakkavur, Paravur & Mayyanad.
9. Tr. No.16342 Thiruvananthapuram central – Guruvayoor Inter City express: Additional stoppage at Chirayankeezh and Kadakkavur
10. Tr. No. 56716. Kanyakumari- Punalur Passenger: Additional stoppage at all stations between Thiruvananthapuram and Kollam.
11. Train No.16724, Thiruvananthapuram central - Chennai Egmore, Ananthapuri express will stop at all stations between Thiruvananthapuram and Nagercoil
12. Train No, 16649, Mangalore Central- Nagercoil Parasuram express will stop at all stations between Thiruvananthapuram and Nagercoil.