Are you planning on going on a trip during this Onam break? Here are ten things you have to keep in mind before you lock up your house
1) It is ideal to lock your ornaments and other valuables in a bank locker.
2) It is advisable to let the local police know that you will not be at home for a specific amount of time.
3) Make sure that the lock on the gate is not displayed prominently. This could be a clear call out to a thief.
4) Make sure that the back door is locked and secure before you go.
5) Make sure that you tell your newspaper boy and the milkman that you will be away. Newspapers and milk lying around the gate is a signal to the thieves.
6) Don't keep knives and other iron tools outside the house. Always lock them away.
7) Make sure that the vehicles - the steering and doors - are locked if you are not taking them on your trip.
8) Do not keep the lights on if you are going away for a long duration. That is a clear indication that there is no none home.
9) Tip off a friend or a relative and have them take a look at your property once in a while if you are planning a long trip.
10) Unplug devices like TV, fridge, computers - this will not just safeguard them from electrical surges, but also reduce power consumption.